Principal's Address, 2017-2018
2017-2018 School Year
Our staff has worked hard to begin a wonderful year of discovery, growth and learning.
The staff began our year learning with Garfield Gini-Newman to consider how we can ensure we are focused on having students think deeply and solve problems while they are learning our Alberta Program of Studies. What an opportunity for our school community.
Some details for the school year:
- Supervision begins in the morning at 8:25
- School begins at 8:40 and ends at 3:15
- Junior high students will be welcomed into the building at 8:25 to access lockers and get ready to be in their first block classes at 8:40
- Elementary students will hear a “line up” bell at 8:37 and the doors will open at the second bell at 8:40. Please send students to school with appropriate outdoor clothing for the weather.
(Exceptions will be for the BOKS program, the sports programs, and the breakfast program. As these programs get up and running, communication will be sent out.)
- Please have elementary students line up and enter at their designated doors. Parents are welcome to wait with their children at the designate doors.
- Students will be dismissed through their designated doors.
- All parents entering the building are required to sign in at the front office.
Parking and dropping off:
- Please do not park in the turning lane leading to our school driveway. This creates huge congestion as people turning into the parking lot must go into the middle lane and around the parked cars to turn in.
- Westmount School was built as a “walking school” as most of the homes accessing our school are in close proximity. Our parking for cars is very limited. If you must drive, please drop students off by pulling in through the driveway rather than parking.
Westmount School is dedicated to providing quality and affordable education and exceptional learning environments for our students.
School Fees have been emailed to parents and also mailed out, expect your school fee breakdown in the mail after October 10, 2017.
We wanted to take this opportunity to clarify information surrounding Bill 1 and the 2017/18 Westmount fee schedule:
- Student fees are calculated based upon variable factors, including grade level and which activities your child chooses to participate in. Several fees are optional should a student choose to participate.
- Bill 1 prevents increases or additional fees from being added during the school year. In an effort to be transparent, the Westmount fee schedule depicts the maximum expense possible, not necessarily the final amount that will be charged to families.
- We are continually working to reduce these maximum expenses through fundraising, casino, volunteers, group discounts, and other donations.
- Any fees charged are done so on a cost recovery basis only.
- Fieldtrips will be charged only once organized and exact cost has been determined.
- Payment plan options are available.
For more information, you can visit the Foothills School Division Fee FAQ. Also, the Westmount School website has been updated regarding the Minister of Education approved MAXIMUM Westmount School fees for the 2017/18 school year. If you have any questions regarding school fees, including payment plan options, please contact Westmount School staff at 403-995-4824
Principal – Westmount School
"The strength of the pack is the wolf and the strength of the wolf is the pack."