Friday, June 2nd
JUNE 2, 2017
Friday, June 2nd
Happy June! It’s hard to believe that we’re heading into our final month of school!
Here’s what we have been up to this week:
- We had some educators from the Town of Okotoks come in and demonstrate the impacts of pollutants on our local wetlands and watersheds. Students learned the importance of picking up after their dog and started to think about how we can do things, like wash our cars and deal with weeds, in a way that will have less of an impact.
- We wrote our weather test. The final assessment for weather will be our performance task when we head back to the goldfish ponds in a few weeks. Permission forms for that trip will go home on Monday.
- The final unit for science will be classroom chemistry and we will start that next week!
- We continue to learn about the treaties and the reasons that treaties were made in Canada. Students made connections to promises that they have made or been given in their own lives and how those impacted them. On Thursday, we walked down to the river and had the opportunity to learn from Sykes Powderface, a Nakoda elder. He shared his knowledge about the treaties, his experiences in residential school, and advise students how they can build relationships and honour treaties in their lives. Afterwards, we were able to spend some time reflecting while spending time by the river.
- We started to watch “The Secret Path” and will make connections between the story of Chanie Wenjack escaping residential school and the stories of slaves escaping on the Underground Railroad.
- We continued to practice strategies for dividing 3- and 4- digit numbers by single digit numbers and will work on that some more next week. We will also start our final units next week focussing on patterns and relations.
Students were able to enjoy the junior high musical, “Ain’t Nothin’ but a Werewolf” as well. We were blown away by the amazing talents of the older students!!
- Please ensure your child hands in their permission form and $20 fee for the Glenbow Museum by Monday as we will head out on our field trip on Friday
- Our Tuesday field trip has been modified so that it is a walking field trip. There are no forms required for this trip.
- Field trip forms for our next Goldfish pond trip will come out next week
- The volunteer tea is on Friday, June 9th. We SO appreciate the amount of time, care, and energy that parents put into our school programs and classrooms. Without that support, we wouldn’t be able to enjoy our field trips and learning opportunities!
Our school community would not be what it is without
all the volunteers who offer their time and talent.
Please join us as we honour our wonderful volunteers!
Friday, June 9, 2017
11:30 – 12:30
~light refreshments and entertainment~
Have a GREAT weekend