Board Highlights - December 11
The Board acknowledges the traditional territories of the peoples of Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta and the Métis Nation of Alberta Region 3.
Board of Trustees Governance Performance Indicators
This item has been added to the Board Agenda and Minutes as a standing item. Starting in January 2020 the Board will reflect on the Minutes of the previous meeting and highlight performance indicators in this section.
Presentation: Ecole Percy Pegler School
Principal Dinah VanDonzel and Vice Principal Christy Crowe shared a presentation around the school’s value and belief statements and the following strategic Education Plan Goals:
- Engagement: How can we effectively communicate with the various stakeholders in our community to foster relationship?
- Support: What is the impact of Cultural and Global Citizenship on supporting each learner to be reflective on their journey to develop resiliency and self-confidence (Social-Emotional Competency).
- Success: How can the implementation of a universal comprehensive literacy block ensure that we are meeting the diverse needs of all of our students in the development of their fundamental literacy skills of reading and writing?
Shelly Read, Curriculum and Instruction Facilitator, Numeracy presented “Numeracy and Mathematics: Engagement, Support and Success for Each Learner”. The presentation covered actions that have been focuses on to advance system-wide stakeholder engagement:
- Build meaningful relationships with all learners and communities
- Celebrate, celebrate, celebrate
- Leadership in stakeholder engagement
- Community engagement opportunities
- Amplify student voice
- Parental involvement
Also addressed in the presentation was “Support for each Learner”:
- Advance a system-wide continuum of supports at a universal, targeted classroom, targeted school-based, and individualized level
- Advance a system-wide approach to purposefully use and apply evidence to inform learning and system improvement
Finally, the presentation spoke to “Success for each Learner”:
- Advance a system-wide Numeracy Framework and Continuum
- Advance a system-wide approach to developing and deepening learning outcomes and competencies
- Advance a system-wide assessment, evaluation and reporting framework
- Advance a system-wide approach to design learning and instruction for continuous growth and improvement, innovation and creativity
Annual Education Results Report (AERR) & Three-Year Education Plan
The combined Annual Education Results Report for the 2018/19 school year and the Three-Year Education Plan for 2019/22 was presented and approved by the Board.
Ratification of CUPE Agreement
The Board approved the Memorandum of Agreement with CUPE Local 5040 for the 2019/2020 school year.
Fall Budget Update & Budget Communication
The Board approved the Fall Budget Update as presented by Administration. The communication to families about changes to the 2019/2020 school year budget is available online.
Budget 2020-2021 and 3-Year Education Plan Assurance Engagement Plan
Christopher Fuzessy, Superintendent of Schools, launched an engagement plan to ensure consultation occurs for the 2020-2021 Budget and the 3-Year Education Plan. This is in alignment with the Government of Alberta Assurance model.
Public Announcements / Recognition / Division Highlights
- Trustees thanked all staff, students, and volunteers for their effort and work in producing outstanding Christmas/Winter concerts throughout the Division.
- Former Ecole Secondaire Highwood High School student, Kaitlin Ward was named as one of the top seven distinguished oralists at the Willms & Shier Environmental Law Moot in Toronto – congratulations!
- Students at Ecole Senator Riley Middle School were journalists for a day. They took over the Foothills School Division instagram account and shared behind the scenes stories of their school.