ATHLETICS AT WESTMOUNT
Welcome to the Westmount Athletics page. Here you will find information regarding our Wolves Athletics Program. Take some time to come out and support our athletes as they compete in various competitions around the area.
Westmount School Athletics will be based around the foundations of player growth and development in skill, competitive situations, and a solid foundation of sportsmanship. Through this we expect to see the growth of an individual in the areas of self-discipline, respect, and most of all self-worth.
Very important forms are listed on the links below. These are absolute must haves for our athletes to compete and participate on various teams. These are master copies.
**There are blank areas for dates and specific teams that will need to be filled in for specific teams, so please read carefully.**
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR INFORMATION ABOUT SPECIFIC SPORTS OR EVENTS
- Foothills Athletic Council, which is our governing body for athletics in the division has a webpage that can be accessed for information and league standings. The website is being updated. We will provide the link when it becomes available.
- Bugets for athletics that are posted on the divisional website are what was approved by Alberta Education and the Minister of Education for the maximum allowable amount our school can charge. This is not necessarily the fee that will be charged for the specific season of play. Westmount School does its very best to keep the cost for interschool athletics down, but has to take in consideration the cost of various expenses to make our seasons run effectively.
- A HUGE thank you to the parent/community volunteers who helped make our school cross country meet a success. To Cindy Dorais, James Lines, Ian and Vince from Staples, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your assistance throughout the day! Also a thank you to Maja and Pierre Nuyt from the McDonalds by Home Depot for their generous donation of smoothies as prizes for our runners. It is greatly appreciated.
- Congratulations to the Jr. A Girls Volleyball team and Mrs. Watkins for their silver medal finish at this year's zone
We are pleased to offer teams that will compete in our FAC league (6/7, Jr. B, & Jr. A) and at the South Central Zone Championships (Jr. A level).
Jr. A Girls- Dawn Watkins: email@example.com
Jr. A Boys- Craig Jones: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jr. B Girls- Lana Gwilliam: email@example.com Teacher rep: Alicia Hollingsworth: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jr. B Boys- Shauna Laubman-Ruff: email@example.com Parent Coach: Dave Baker
Gr. 6/7 Girls- Lahni Rawlings: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gr. 6/7 Boys- Kevin Sommers & Randy Hillmer Teacher rep: Stacey Swanson: email@example.com
Schedules are developed by a league commissioner and take into account various school requests for availability. Game switches will only occur when weather or gym availability becomes and issue.
**GAME SWITCH**- Jr. B Girls ONLY! Jan 24th moved to Jan 23rd @ Millarville
**GAME SWITCH**- 6/7 Girls and Boys vs. JPII will now be at Westmount instead of JPII
Practice Schedule - Practice times are set out by all of the coaches at the beginning of the season. Practice times may switch or be added. This document is continually updated as gym availability changes. Please check back on a regular basis.
TOURNAMENT SCHEDULES- BASKETBALL
December 14/15th Crowther Junior High Basketball Tournament (Strathmore). Please note times and locations. CMJHS (Crowther) and SHS (Strathmore High School, court 1 or 2)
**FLAG FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS ARE CANCELLED FOR BOTH TEAMS TUESDAY OCTOBER 9TH. THEY WILL BE RESCHEUDLED FOR THE FOLLOWING DATES:
6/7- TUESDAY OCTOBER 16TH AT NOTRE DAME COLLEGIATE AND 8/9 WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 17TH AT OKOTOKS JUNIOR HIGH **
There was a change for our McMahon Day. Below is the newest link for the day. Sorry for any inconvenience. We still require our students at Westmount by 8:00 am.
Final two practices will be this Wednesday Oct 10 and Thursday Oct 11 at 3:30-4:30
We are excited that we are able to offer two levels of teams this year! Please see the schedule below for when our teams are traveling and hosting.
Practices will run Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 3:30-4:30. We would ask that our players attend practices as it will assist with their learning the sport. We do understand that there may be conflicts from time to time, but require prompt and clear communication from our players to avoid or accommodate any conflicts.
Coaches- Lisa Synder- firstname.lastname@example.org, Shauna Laubman-Ruff email@example.com, Craig Jones- firstname.lastname@example.org, Alicia Hollingsworth- email@example.com
Tryouts have started for all of our teams for this year. We would like to encourage all who tried out to continue to work on developing their skills. Keep up the good work.
Check the schedules that are posted below as those will determine when our league games will be. Any changes will be noted on the website and not necessarily on the schedule itself.
The Foothills Athletic Council schedules games with a 3:45 start, followed immediately by the other game.
- Our Sr. Girls and Boys October 4th home game against STS has been rescheduled to October 11th. Our game time and order will remain the same.
Gr. 8/9 Boys and Girls- Please note locations of where games are taking place and which of our teams are playing first and second.
Gr. 7/8 Girls- Please note locations of where games are taking place.
Gr. 6/7 Tripleball - Please note locations of where games are taking place.
- Gr. 8/9 Girls- Dawn Watkins- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gr. 8/9 Boys- Graham Campbell- email@example.com
- Gr. 7/8 Girls- Elisa McKellar- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gr. 6/7 Girls Tripleball- Jesse Keller- email@example.com
Our Cross country team is well underway. We have our school meet on Sept 24th, 2018 and require some adult volunteers. If you are able to help out during the day we would love to have you. Please contact the school. Divisionals will be on Wednesday October 3rd, 2018 at Strathcona Tweedsmuir School. Zones for cross country will be Wednesday October 10th at Strathcona Tweedsmuir as well.
Our school cross country meet will be taking place on Monday September 24, 2018. We will be running rain or shine, cancelling in the event of lightning. Our times and locations for our students for when they run will be as follows:
- Grade 4 (Girls @ 9:20, Boys @ 9:25)- Start at the storm pond, run around pond, finish at the school field
- Grade 5 (Girls @ 9:00, Boys @9:05)- Start at the storm pond, run around pond, finish at school field
- Grade 6 (Girls @ 2:20, Boys @ 2:25)- Start at the school field, run up and down Tucker Hill, finish at school field
- Grade 7 (Girls @ 10:55, Boys @11:00)- Start at the school field, run up and down Tucker Hill, finish at school field
- Grade 8 (Girls @ 9:55, Boys @ 10:00)- Start at the school field, run up and down Tucker Hill, finish at school field
- Grade 9 (Boys @ 1:00, Girls @ 1:05)- Start at the school field, run to pond and around, run up and down Tucker Hill, finish at school field
Our students have been training hard for big day and we are looking forward to seeing them compete and do their very best. We would love if you came out and cheered on our runners!!
- Janey Wooldridge- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graham Campbell- email@example.com
- Stacey Swanson- firstname.lastname@example.org