ATHLETICS AT WESTMOUNT
Welcome to the Westmount Athletics page. Here you will find information regarding our Wolves Athletics Program. Take some time to come out and support our athletes as they compete in various competitions around the area.
Westmount School Athletics will be based around the foundations of player growth and development in skill, competitive situations, and a solid foundation of sportsmanship. Through this we expect to see the growth of an individual in the areas of self-discipline, respect, and most of all self-worth.
Very important forms are listed on the links below. These are absolute must haves for our athletes to compete and participate on various teams. These are master copies.
**There are blank areas for dates and specific teams that will need to be filled in for specific teams, so please read carefully.**
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR INFORMATION ABOUT SPECIFIC SPORTS OR EVENTS
- Foothills Athletic Council, which is our governing body for athletics in the division has a webpage that can be accessed for information and league standings. The website is being updated. We will provide the link when it becomes available.
- Bugets for athletics that are posted on the divisional website are what was approved by Alberta Education and the Minister of Education for the maximum allowable amount our school can charge. This is not necessarily the fee that will be charged for the specific season of play. Westmount School does its very best to keep the cost for interschool athletics down, but has to take in consideration the cost of various expenses to make our seasons run effectively.
- A HUGE thank you to the parent/community volunteers who helped make our school cross country meet a success. To Cindy Dorais, James Lines, Ian and Vince from Staples, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your assistance throughout the day! Also a thank you to Maja and Pierre Nuyt from the McDonalds by Home Depot for their generous donation of smoothies as prizes for our runners. It is greatly appreciated.
- Congratulations to the Jr. A Girls Volleyball team and Mrs. Watkins for their silver medal finish at this year's zone championship
- Congratulation to our basketball teams at the 7/8 and 8/9 level. They have had some very successful seasons so far with impressive results these are listed below:
- Sr. Girls- Won Gold at Zones, won home tournament, won Three Hills tournament, 4th in league play
- Sr. Boys- Won Bronze at Zones, won home tournament, won Three Hills tournament, 2nd at St. Francis Tournament, 2nd in league play
- 7/8 Girls- Won St. Francis Tournament, won consolation side Crowther Memorial tournament, won Foothills Comp. feeder tournament
- 7/8 Boys- Won St. Francis Tournament, won Crowther Memorial tournament, won Foothills Comp. feeder tournament.
- 7/8's still need to finish up league playoffs and are ranked within the top 4 overall for our league play.
- Congratulations to all of our athletes who represented Westmount at the divisional track and field level. We had many top 6 finishes with our athletes moving onto the zone level to represent Westmount. Well done!!
- BASKETBALL CAMPS- OMBA is hosting a variety of camps in the summer. Below are the dates and click on this link for more information. https://okotoksbasketball.squadfusion.com/welcome/
Zack Camel Bball Camp: July 10-12, 2019
Going into Grades 3-16= August 6 - August 9, 2019
Going into Grades 7-9 = August 12 - August 15, 2019
Going into Grades 10-12 = August 19 - August 22, 2019
- VOLLEYBALL OPEN GYM FOR HIGH SCHOOL. Please click HERE for more information regarding open gym for any of our grade 9 students who are interested in playing at the Comp next year. Please note open gym times in August are for the girls only. Tryouts will be for both boys and girls.
- BASKETBALL CAMP at STS
- VOLLEYBALL CAMP- PLEASE ensure you click on the correct one for information for your student.
- BASKETBALL CAMP- Big Rock Basketball Camp is a local developmental camp that is open to students in grades 6-9. It is held at the field house in Aldersyde and is very reasonable for the week of instruction and development. Click on the link below for more information:
- We were fortunate to have the Foothills Composite High School football coaches stop by and join us for an information meeting regarding playing high school football for our grade 9's. Please see the link below regarding a free camp they are offering to assist our students with getting prepared for the season in the fall.
- Big Rock Basketball Club Basketball Tryouts are happening on the week of February 22nd and 23rd, 2019 (Grade 7 and 8) and Marh 13th and 14th (Grade 9)
- Grade 7 Team- (The Grade 7 team accepts advanced Grade 6 players every year)
- Friday February 22 from 6:00-7;30 at Holy Trinity
- Saturday February 23 from 12:00-1:30 at Holy Trinity
Grade 8 Team
Friday February 22 from 7:30-9:00 at Holy Trinity
Friday February 23 from 1:30-3:00 at Holy Trinity
(The Grade 7 and 8 Saturday tryouts may change to help players meet their commitments to their community teams if required)
Grade 9 Team
Wednesday March 13 from 6:00-7:30 at Holy Trinity
Thursday March 14 from 7:30-9;00 at Holy Trinity
- Grade 7 Team- (The Grade 7 team accepts advanced Grade 6 players every year)
Please click for more information- Information Brouchure
TRACK AND FIELD
Track and Field is now underway. Practices will commence on April 30th afterschool on Tuesday and Wednesday. This can be subject to change. Our school track meet for our jr. high (7-9) students will take place on Monday, May 13th with a rain out on Tuesday May 14th. Our divisional meet will be at HTA Highschool in Okotoks, on Wednesday May 22nd, with a rainout of Thursday May 23rd. Our zone meet will be on Tuesday May 28th location TBA. In order to qualify for the divisional meet and zone meet, athletes must finish in the top two of their category or have been asked by one of the coaches to move up if our top 2 opt not to go.
Badminton is a short but intense season. Tryouts have occurred and teams have been selected. Divisional meets will take place at Edison School on the northside of Okotoks.
Apr 11- Gr 9
Apr 16- Gr 7
Apr 17- Gr 8
Time of play is as follows, students are asked to be there 30 minutes prior to the start time of their event.
Mixed Doubles- 9:00
All times of play are determined by the organizer. Students will be responsible for obtaining their own rides to and from the center. Proper paper work and divisional requirements are needing to be in place in order to drive other students.
We are pleased to offer teams that will compete in our FAC league (6/7, Jr. B, & Jr. A) and at the South Central Zone Championships (Jr. A level).
Jr. A Girls- Dawn Watkins: email@example.com
Jr. A Boys- Craig Jones: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jr. B Girls- Lana Gwilliam: email@example.com Teacher rep: Alicia Hollingsworth: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jr. B Boys- Shauna Laubman-Ruff: email@example.com Parent Coach: Dave Baker
Gr. 6/7 Girls- Lahni Rawlings: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gr. 6/7 Boys- Kevin Sommers & Randy Hillmer Teacher rep: Stacey Swanson: email@example.com
Schedules are developed by a league commissioner and take into account various school requests for availability. Game switches will only occur when weather or gym availability becomes and issue.
The Jr. B schedule has been changed to reflect an additional team that has been added. We apologize for any inconvenience but please disregards any older copies and go with the most recent one linked above.
**GAME RESCHEDULED- MARCH 11TH GIRLS ARE @ STS- 3:45 START.**
**EXHIBITION GAME- GIRLS vs. MILLARVILLE @ WESTMOUNT- FEB 28TH @ APPROXIMATELY 4:45 (Following the boys regularly scheduled game)**
**GAME SWITCH**- 6/7 Girls and Boys vs. JPII will now be at Westmount instead of JPII
PRACTICE SCHEDULES FOR BASKETBALL
Practice Schedule - Practice times are set out by all of the coaches at the beginning of the season. Practice times may switch or be added. This document is continually updated as gym availability changes. Please check back on a regular basis.
TOURNAMENT SCHEDULES- BASKETBALL
3J Zone Playoffs. Our Sr. Girls and Sr. Boys are at zones this weekend. Our girls are at East Lake in Chestermere and our boys are at St. Joseph's Collegiate in Brooks. Please see the draws for each team listed below:
St. Francis of Assisi- Jr. B Tournament- March 1, 2
**This draw had been changed since the last update. This is due to Banff and Canmore teams not being able to travel on Mar 1 due to the inclement weather. Thank you for your understanding**
Jr. A Girls Hunting Hills Tournament Feb 8/9th in Red Deer- Please click on the link below.
Jr. A Boys St. Francis of Assissi (DeWinton) Tournament
Jr. B Girls and Boys Draw Jan 26th Tournament at Foothills Composite
Jr A. Girls and Boys Home Tournamen at Westmount- Jan 11/12th
December 14/15th Crowther Junior High Basketball Tournament (Strathmore). Please note times and locations. CMJHS (Crowther) and SHS (Strathmore High School, court 1 or 2)
**FLAG FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS ARE CANCELLED FOR BOTH TEAMS TUESDAY OCTOBER 9TH. THEY WILL BE RESCHEUDLED FOR THE FOLLOWING DATES:
6/7- TUESDAY OCTOBER 16TH AT NOTRE DAME COLLEGIATE AND 8/9 WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 17TH AT OKOTOKS JUNIOR HIGH **
There was a change for our McMahon Day. Below is the newest link for the day. Sorry for any inconvenience. We still require our students at Westmount by 8:00 am.
Final two practices will be this Wednesday Oct 10 and Thursday Oct 11 at 3:30-4:30
We are excited that we are able to offer two levels of teams this year! Please see the schedule below for when our teams are traveling and hosting.
Practices will run Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 3:30-4:30. We would ask that our players attend practices as it will assist with their learning the sport. We do understand that there may be conflicts from time to time, but require prompt and clear communication from our players to avoid or accommodate any conflicts.
Coaches- Lisa Synder- firstname.lastname@example.org, Shauna Laubman-Ruff email@example.com, Craig Jones- firstname.lastname@example.org, Alicia Hollingsworth- email@example.com
Tryouts have started for all of our teams for this year. We would like to encourage all who tried out to continue to work on developing their skills. Keep up the good work.
Check the schedules that are posted below as those will determine when our league games will be. Any changes will be noted on the website and not necessarily on the schedule itself.
The Foothills Athletic Council schedules games with a 3:45 start, followed immediately by the other game.
- Our Sr. Girls and Boys October 4th home game against STS has been rescheduled to October 11th. Our game time and order will remain the same.
Gr. 8/9 Boys and Girls- Please note locations of where games are taking place and which of our teams are playing first and second.
Gr. 7/8 Girls- Please note locations of where games are taking place.
Gr. 6/7 Tripleball - Please note locations of where games are taking place.
- Gr. 8/9 Girls- Dawn Watkins- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gr. 8/9 Boys- Graham Campbell- email@example.com
- Gr. 7/8 Girls- Elisa McKellar- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gr. 6/7 Girls Tripleball- Jesse Keller- email@example.com
Our Cross country team is well underway. We have our school meet on Sept 24th, 2018 and require some adult volunteers. If you are able to help out during the day we would love to have you. Please contact the school. Divisionals will be on Wednesday October 3rd, 2018 at Strathcona Tweedsmuir School. Zones for cross country will be Wednesday October 10th at Strathcona Tweedsmuir as well.
Our school cross country meet will be taking place on Monday September 24, 2018. We will be running rain or shine, cancelling in the event of lightning. Our times and locations for our students for when they run will be as follows:
- Grade 4 (Girls @ 9:20, Boys @ 9:25)- Start at the storm pond, run around pond, finish at the school field
- Grade 5 (Girls @ 9:00, Boys @9:05)- Start at the storm pond, run around pond, finish at school field
- Grade 6 (Girls @ 2:20, Boys @ 2:25)- Start at the school field, run up and down Tucker Hill, finish at school field
- Grade 7 (Girls @ 10:55, Boys @11:00)- Start at the school field, run up and down Tucker Hill, finish at school field
- Grade 8 (Girls @ 9:55, Boys @ 10:00)- Start at the school field, run up and down Tucker Hill, finish at school field
- Grade 9 (Boys @ 1:00, Girls @ 1:05)- Start at the school field, run to pond and around, run up and down Tucker Hill, finish at school field
Our students have been training hard for big day and we are looking forward to seeing them compete and do their very best. We would love if you came out and cheered on our runners!!
- Janey Wooldridge- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graham Campbell- email@example.com
- Stacey Swanson- firstname.lastname@example.org