ATHLETICS AT WESTMOUNT
Welcome to the Westmount Athletics page. Here you will find information regarding our Wolves Athletics Program. Take some time to come out and support our athletes as they compete in various competitions around the area.
Westmount School Athletics will be based around the foundations of player growth and development in skill, competitive situations, and a solid foundation of sportsmanship. Through this we expect to see the growth of an individual in the areas of self-discipline, respect, and most of all competence.
Very important forms are listed on the links below. These are absolute must haves for our athletes to compete and participate on various teams. These are master copies.
**There are blank areas for dates and specific teams that will need to be filled in for specific teams, so please read carefully.**
- Permission Letter Athletics
- WM Athletics Medical Info
- Volunteer Driver Authorization
- Divisional Policy for Volunteer Driver Authorization - ALL PARENT DRIVERS MUST MEET THE DIVISIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR DRIVING STUDENTS OTHER THAN THEIR OWN CHILD. NO EXCEPTIONS CAN BE MADE INCLUDING EXTENDED FAMILY MEMBERS OR CLOSE FAMILY FRIENDS (ie- Cousins, etc.)
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR INFORMATION ABOUT SPECIFIC SPORTS OR EVENTS
- Foothills Athletic Council, which is our governing body for athletics in the division has a webpage that can be accessed for information and league standings. The website is being updated. We will provide the link when it becomes available.
- Budgets for athletics that are posted on the divisional website are what was approved by Alberta Education and the Minister of Education for the maximum allowable amount our school can charge. This is not necessarily the fee that will be charged for the specific season of play. Westmount School does its very best to keep the cost for inter-school athletics down, but has to take in consideration the cost of various expenses to make our seasons run effectively.
- Our teams are listed below. Please scroll down to your respective sport for information, schedules, tournament draws, and coaches' contact information
- OCTOBER 21-25, 2019
- Bus for McMahon will be leaving Westmount on Monday at 8:30 sharp. You will need to have all of the necessary items for the day- lunch, drinks, clothing layers, etc.
- OCTOBER 7-11, 2019
- Flag Football games were canceled week of Sept 30th due to the snow. Gr 8/9 will be made up week of Oct 7th instead of finals/playoffs. Finals/playoffs will be played during during the jamboree at McMahon on Oct 21st. The 6/7 team will not be playing the week of Oct 7-11th as the 6's will be away at camp that week.
- Tripleball will not be play this week as well. The grade 6's are away at camp.
- OCTOBER 4-6, 2019
- This past weekend saw our Jr. B girls and our Jr. A girls Volleyball teams at away tournaments. Our Jr. A Girls finished 4th and our Jr. B Girls finished with a bronze medal!!! Congratulations to all the players and coaches for their hard work so far!
- HELP!! We are in need of coaches at the following levels to provide our student athletes with the opportunity to be able to play. If you can help out please contact Craig Jones- email@example.com or (403) 995-4824. You need to have a current criminal record check with your local police detachment. Please contact the main office to see if yours is up to date.
- Grade 6/7 Girls Basketball
- Grade 6/7 Boys Basketball
IMPORTANT ITEMS TO REMEMBER!
- Athletes are reminded that if they are playing or participating on multiple teams that they communicate with their respective coaches. We can make things work with other sports as long as the coaches are kept in the loop and practices are divided equally.
- We rely on our students and coaches to be able to provide a team. We need a commitment from our players to see the season through as we make commitments to compete at tournaments and in our leagues.
- We have corresponding names for our grade levels
- Grade 8/9- Jr. A
- Grade 7/8- Jr. B
Season is not underway. Tryouts will start upon the completion of Volleyball season (November)
We are pleased to offer volleyball or tripleball for our student body at the following levels: Jr. A Girls, Jr. B Girls, Grade 6/7 Girls.
SCHEDULES- Please click on the link below for your respective team:
Tripleball Boys and Girls - Recently Updated as of October 1, 2019. There will be no triple ball games the week of Oct 7-11. The grade 6's will be away at camp.
TOURNAMENTS- Please note the following tournament dates and respective levels of the teams who are participating in them. Draws will be posted as they are received.
- Sept 28, 2019- Crowther Memorial (Strathmore, AB)- Jr. A Girls (8/9) -Tournament Completed.
- Oct 4-5, 2019- George Freeman (Strathmore, AB)- Jr. B Girls (7/8) - Tournament Completed.
- Oct 5, 2019- Three Hills (Three Hills, AB)- Jr. A Girls (8/9) Tournament Completed
- Oct 25-26, 2019- St. Francis of Assisi (DeWinton, AB)- Jr. A Girls (8/9) Tournament Draw
- Oct 26, 2019- Three Hills (Three Hills, AB)- Jr. B Girls (7/8) Tournament Draw
- Nov 8-9, 2019- Zone Tournament (Brooks, AB)- Jr. A Girls (8/9)
- Dawn Watkins and Tammy Archer- firstname.lastname@example.org (Jr. A- 8/9 Girls)
- Liv Jacks- email@example.com (Jr. B- 7/8 Girls)
- Ava Kinzel & Cara Point- firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com (Tripleball Girls)
- Jesse Keller- firstname.lastname@example.org (Tripleball Boys)
Flag football is now underway. We will be practicing everyday during the week of Sept 9th-13th. Our games will be played on Mondays and in most cases we will be playing 2 games per night. Stay tuned for the practice schedule and the game schedule.
League Game Schedule- Games were canceled week of Sept 30th. These will be made up week of Oct 7th instead of finals/playoffs. Finals/playoffs will be played during during the jamboree at McMahon on Oct 21st. The 6/7 team will not be playing the week of Oct 7-11th as the 6's will be away at camp that week.
- Craig Jones- email@example.com (Grade 8/9)
- Lisa Snyder- firstname.lastname@example.org (Grade 6/7)
Our grade 8/9's will be playing against other schools in our athletic council who have the same level of students. Our 6/7's will be competing in the 7/8 level against other schools.
Our cross country teams are up and running as we speak. Our season is short and quick with a divisional cross country meet at Strathcona Tweedsmuir School for grades 6-9. We have a zone competition as well that we are working towards. We are very pleased to be able to offer cross country to our students in grades from 1-9.
Practices for grades 4-9 will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-4:00pm.
Practicies for grades 1-3 will be on Thursdays from 3:30-4:00pm.
All students are encouraged to come out and participate, even if it is extra practice.
- Sept 19th- Westmount In-school Cross Country Meet (Gr 7-9)
- Sept 23rd- Westmount In-school Cross Country Meet (Gr 4-6)
- Sept 26th- Grades 4-6 @ Lloyd Park, south of Red Deer Lake School- Races start at 4:00
- Sept 30th- Grades 1-6 @ Percy Pegler School- Races start at 3:45 so students need to arrive at 3:30
- Oct 2nd- Divisional Cross Country Meet @ STS (Gr 6-9). Top 10 finishers from our school meet will race in this meet.
- Oct 8th- Zone level Cross Country Meet @ STS (Gr 7-9).
Coaches: Please contact the respective coach at your student's grade level if you have any questions.
- Janey Wooldridge- email@example.com (Gr 7-9)
- Graham Campbell - firstname.lastname@example.org (Gr 4-6)
- Alison England- email@example.com (Gr 1-3)
- Lauren Mosher- firstname.lastname@example.org (Gr 1-3)